Manual Pages for Research Unix Eighth Edition
This are the manual pages for the 8th Edition of Bell Labs' Unix.
The HTML conversion is almost complete although a couple of commands with strange names are not accessible yet.
This material was contributed by an ‘anonymous’ person that got them in turn from somebody that shall remain nameless. Thanks and props to both of them, and of course to the whole original Unix crew at Bell Labs!
NOTE: Some of the included headers are incorrect because they are directly loaded from this host’s
/usr/include/, this will be fixed eventually but will have to get the contents of V8’s /usr/include first.
- Section: 1 - General commands. - cat, sed, grep, etc.
- Section: 2 - System calls. - stat, open, wait, etc.
- Section: 3 - C library functions - printf, regex, popen, etc.
- Section: 4 - Special files and devices - /dev/null, /dev/console, /proc, etc.
- Section: 5 - File formats and conventions - a.out, ar, fstab, etc.
- Section: 6 - Games - adventure, atc, fortune, etc.
- Section: 7 - Misc - troff, apnews, units, etc.
- Section: 8 - System administration commands and daemons - su, swapon, cron, netfs, etc.
- Section: 9 - Jerq-related software - jim, mugs, crabs, blitblt, and other programs, mostly by Rob Pike.